[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging NFL Games

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 13:43:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Robert Shields <rwshields at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been recording NFL games and watching them after being commercial
> flagged (it makes the game go about 3x faster).
>
> I have found that during the commercial flagging process MythTV always flags
> the kickoffs as commercials since the network only shows the one play and
> immediately goes back to commercial.  I realize that I could go through
> manually and fix every kickoff so it isn't flagged, but that solution has
> two problems:
>
> It would be time consuming
> More importantly, in doing so I would know the score of the game before I
> saw the whole thing...kind of ruins the experience.
>
> I also know I could simply watch the game w/o commercial flagging or fast
> forward manually when I know a kickoff is coming, but I thought before I did
> either of these two I would ask to community if they had come across this
> issue before.  If so, how did you solve it?

For football I have a playback group with a short skip of I think 12
or 15 seconds, which is just about perfect to skip between plays (when
the play ends, skip forward and they are usually just about to snap
for the next play) and a long jump of 2 minutes, I think, which will
skip commercials pretty much perfectly. I can watch a whole game in
about 25-20 minutes.

Tom