[mythtv-users] Failed recordings

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 20:28:36 UTC 2010

Folks,

I suspect that this problem has been around for a while but I've
noticed far more since I recently upgraded from 21-fixes (custom
build) to 23-fixes (Ubuntu packages).

I keep getting recordings that start (or pretend to start) but then
fail after a few seconds.
(The captures are from DVB-T devices)

I suspect this is a general design problem with Myth, in that the
backend has never been at all resilient to recording problems. In the
past (0.21) I've seen the backend crash completely on flakey DVB-T
signals.

Anyway does anyone know of any solutions to improve the resilience of
recordings? I'd really like to see the backend monitor recordings and
restart them if the file isn't getting any bigger, maybe rescheduling
for later recording after a few fails.

I can see how I could write a recordings monitor fairly easily from
the new Event system, but can't see how I can restart individual
recordings. At present the best we can do is restart the whole backend
which will interrupt any recordings that are currently going on,
successful ones included. Has anyone written one of these already?

Cheers

Steve