[mythtv-users] Umlauts in filenames make files/folders invisible

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Fri Sep 24 23:11:43 UTC 2010

Hi to all

This is possibly a bug in Mythbuntu (10.4). When files or folder names
contain German umlauts (äöü) Mythtv can't see them. A folder named:

Raumschiff Enterprise: Das nächste Jahrhundert

is invisible, due to the 'ä'. If I rename the folder to the English
original:

Star Trek: The Next Generation

it works, but only few of the files under this folder have coverart,
banner etc. For the others, Mythtv reports that a coverart is present
but cannot be linked to the file. This is possibly because the image
files also contain the 'ä'. It's, however, not clear why it's
nevertheless possible for some of the files.

There seems to be something wrong with the locale of the system or with
mythtv's language settings, but I cannot find out where the problem
actually is.

Can anybody help me through this?

Thanks,

Sven