[mythtv-users] Thin client frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 24 17:04:25 UTC 2010

On Friday, September 24, 2010 10:53:37 am Mike Perkins wrote:
> Raymond Wagner wrote:

> >> If it's a thin client... it shouldn't have a hard drive in it. A thin
> >> client is booted off a USB stick or a Compact Flash card or over the
> >> network.
> >>
> >> Try http://minimyth.org/ for the appropriate software to run on a thin
> >> client front end.
> >
> > Of course if it actually were a thin client, you wouldn't be running
> > MythTV on it.  You would install Xorg and a sound server, set up
> > forwarding, and run the frontend on some central system.
>
> Been there, tried that. Don't think it can be done because you couldn't
> transfer the video data fast enough. Mythfrontend has a lot of smarts and
> needs to be near the hardware it's using. Minimyth works extremely well in
> that respect.

If you're trying to transfer the video display as a remote desktop sort of thing I agree, but you can certainly transfer
the video data itself, for decoding and display on the client (notice I didn't say "thin"), or Myth itself wouldn't work,
nor would an HDHR.

I've tried every RDP type of protocol, VNC, remote X and the like, and none of them are fast enough even on a Gigabit
network. None of them can use any sort of acceleration, they are limited to framebuffer performance.

Of course if anyone knows otherwise, I'd LOVE to hear about it.