[mythtv-users] Thin client frontend

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 16:20:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Michelle Dupuis wrote:
>>
>> The Shuttle XS35GT-804  looks interesting!  Does it have enough power to
>> run
>> myth properly?
>>
>> I also worry about putting a 500gb disk into a unit with only passive
>> cooling...sounds like a recipe for cooking a disk
>>
> If it's a thin client... it shouldn't have a hard drive in it. A thin client
> is booted off a USB stick or a Compact Flash card or over the network.
>
> Try http://minimyth.org/ for the appropriate software to run on a thin
> client front end.

I switched from ltsp ubuntu/fedora to minimyth and have never looked
back..  Having an in-ram rootfs from minimyth solved all of my nfsroot
based suspend issues on my frontends.  Since all of my frontends are
the same hardware, it makes the setup extremely easy as well..

-Greg