[mythtv-users] Can I mythexport without transcoding?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 00:30:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Scott Kidder <kidder.scott at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like a way to export my recordings to an RSS feed I could subscribe to
>> from another computer. I want the exports to retain their default resolution
>> / bitrate / etc and since they're MPG I assume they will play on other
>> Windows / Linux / Mac machines without issue.
>>

> You might want to look at the MythPodcaster project (
> http://code.google.com/p/mythpodcaster/).  It can produce RSS feeds that
> use symbolic links to refer to original recordings, or use FFmpeg to
> transcode the original recordings.
>
> --Scott Kidder

Scott, this looks really nice. I've run into some limitations with
Mythexport now that I've started using it "in production" - The biggest one
being that there's a limited number of podcasts one can set up. Ideally, and
i know this may lead to podcast sprawl, I'd like to have the option to set
up a podcast for each series I transcode. That way I could subscribe to each
show individually. Is this something that MythPodcaster could do?

Secondly, I'm on Ubuntu and I see that much of this was written for Fedora.
Has anybody succesfully used this with Ubuntu and if so, any tips? I'll dive
into an install on one of my test systems tomorrow, time permitting, but
since I barely know what I'm doing I always look for a bit of help. :-)