[mythtv-users] BackEnd Unresponsive After Deleting Recording 0.23.1 w/ new SBE

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:34:14 UTC 2010

I just wanted to post a followup in case anyone searching finds this
thread. I am currently running trunk 0.24-24454 on my systems. One of
the tickets that seemed like a similar problem to mine is marked as
high or blocker for 0.24. The other ticket has not had any updates and
I expect that it will not receive any updates until 0.24 is released.
Of course 0.24 may fix the problem anyway.

My MBE was running Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted to upgrade it to 10.04 for
the longer support cycle. I took an extra HD and installed 10.04 on it
and restored my database from 0.23.1. I then removed all MythTV
packages and enabled the trunk daily build repo. The update to 0.24
went very smoothly. I don't remember having any issues related to the
new Myth version. For the first couple of days after updating to trunk
I was getting errors like this:
2010-09-21 07:50:29.538 DVBChan(3:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0)
Warning: Opening DVB frontend device failed.
			eno: Device or resource busy (16)
The mythbackend process would also segfault and I would have to kill
-9 any remaining mythbackend processes before I could get things
working again. I think this was due to the change in the driver I was
running for my HVR-2250 card. On 9.10 I was using self compiled
drivers from linuxtv.org. Mythbuntu 10.04 included support in its
default kernel, but the driver is older than what I was previously
using. Today I updated the HVR-2250 driver and my machine has been
running for almost 12 hours now. 12 hours is longer than I was able to
keep things running with 0.23.1. If I get to 48 hours without a BE
restart I will consider this particular problem solved.

Thanks,
James