[mythtv-users] What's the best Linux variant to use for a fullwipe and reload?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 22 18:15:53 UTC 2010

On September 22, 2010, Ian Bishop wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > > Unless there's a very persuasive reason to change I couldn't imagine
> > > me going a different way now.
>
> I prefer Debian for my machines to avoid ever having to wipe/rebuild.  I
> have one machine that has been apt-get dist-upgraded 5 times.  You also
> get really good access to bug reports and the package maintainers when
> something goes wrong.

I've got you beat there.  My Debian installation on my main desktop predates
apt.  I believe I started with bo (version 1.3) on February 1 1998.  I have
changed all of the hardware several times, but I have never needed to format
or reinstall in all that time.  Gotta love Debian for smooth upgrades.

Mark