[mythtv-users] slightly OT: clear QAM channels in Cambridge, MA

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:43:05 UTC 2010

On 9/22/10 12:15 PM, Quinten Steenhuis wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Quinten Steenhuis<qsteenhuis at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Just moved to North Cambridge, MA (0140). Previously I was able to
>>> receive many unencrypted local HD channels using an HD-Homerun box.
>>> Now I am only able to see a low-quality digital SD version of the
>>> local channels. The lineup on the SiliconDust website shows many more
>>> channels as visible. I tried scanning in MythTV Setup with
>>> US-Cable-Standard, HRC and IRC.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any luck with this?
>>>
>> Well, you neglected to say which provider's feed you were scanning,
>> and that does make a big difference... :) I know of someone who was in
>> the Cambridge area, iirc, who couldn't get anything high definition
>> without a set top box on one of the providers (can't recall who, but
>> it wasn't Comcast or Verizon).
>>
> Sorry, forgot to say it is Comcast.

Then you're probably SOL. Comcast has gone to requiring a settop box for
*all* HD in other areas of Massachusetts. This is despite what their web
site says about the switchover that happened last year, something to the
effect of, "you will be able to watch any HD channels to which you are
entitled without additional equipment."

If Silicon Dust's new HDHomeRun Prime is allowed to work under Linux,
and Comcast is willing to give you a Cablecard, then you'll
theoretically be able to use that to watch programs that are
in-the-clear in the future. The first looks likely, the second is more
iffy. It's hard to get anyone at Comcast who even knows what a Cablecard is.

If all you want is the major networks in HD, then I suggest you try a
cheap antenna like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=2

In Cambridge, you can probably get all of the networks without even
putting the antenna outside.