[mythtv-users] slightly OT: clear QAM channels in Cambridge, MA

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Sep 22 04:24:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Quinten Steenhuis <qsteenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just moved to North Cambridge, MA (0140). Previously I was able to
> receive many unencrypted local HD channels using an HD-Homerun box.
> Now I am only able to see a low-quality digital SD version of the
> local channels. The lineup on the SiliconDust website shows many more
> channels as visible. I tried scanning in MythTV Setup with
> US-Cable-Standard, HRC and IRC.
>
> Anybody have any luck with this?

Well, you neglected to say which provider's feed you were scanning,
and that does make a big difference... :) I know of someone who was in
the Cambridge area, iirc, who couldn't get anything high definition
without a set top box on one of the providers (can't recall who, but
it wasn't Comcast or Verizon).

You might also try asking on the Boston Linux/UNIX 'discuss' mailing
list, there are a number of Cambridge area residents using mythtv on
it. I'm on that list too myself, but I live a bit further north (with
Verizon FiOS TV, and I get the HD channels fine, fwiw).

If you're so inclined: