[mythtv-users] I'm obviously missing some detail about scheduling & priorities...

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 20:40:44 UTC 2010

I reconfigured my system, and now it appears that the scheduler is finally doing what I always thought it should be doing.

tuner ordering:
HDHomeRunA0 with 3 multi-recs on cable
HDHomeRunA1 with 3 multi-recs on cable
HDTV Wonder digital with 3 multi-recs on cable
HDHomeRunB0 with 3 multi-recs on antennaS (antennas last as occasionally the OTA signal fades away)
HDHomeRunB1 with 3 multi-recs on antennaNW
HDTV Wonder analog on Analog cable priority -99 (I've never gotten this to work properly)

I added the multi-recs as I added the channel so the scheduler would pack as many recordings as possible into a single tuner.

Now it is scheduling back to back recordings on the same tuner on the same channel with 20 minutes of overlap (I'm forcing pre &
post recording so I don't miss the beginning or end of an episode), and it appears to be using the tuners optimally now.

I do wonder why the number of multi-recs must be specified though, the bandwidth of the channel is fixed, and the system should
be able to record as many subchannels simultaneously from a channel as there are on that channel. I have some channels with as
many as 33 subchannels, and it is impractical to set the multi-recs to 33.