[mythtv-users] Transcoding HD-PVR Recordings

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 22:11:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com>wrote:

> Nick,
>    I use Avidemux interactively. There was a script written by Robert
> MacNamera which translated MythTV cutpoints into an Avidemux compatible edit
> file.
>
>    I did not find the automatic commercial cut points in MythTV to be that
> accurate plus Avidemux will not allow you to undo or modify an edit once
> committed.
>
>    After editing many videos in Avidemux the manual effort does not seem
> that onerous. I do a regular hour tv show in 3-5 minutes tops.

I find that the editor right in MythTV will let me do it in about the same
amount of time, particularly with the latest modifications.  After that, you
could easily setup a user job to transcode with whatever you want pretty
much.  Additionally, I'm mostly pleased with the success rate of
mythcommflag on my recordings, although not with the speed of it with
dealing with high def H.264, but not much can be done about that.

I also wrote a script (like 6 years or so back) that would do the same
translation.  It used to be distributed as part of nuvexport, but was ripped
out once mythtranscode had MPEG2->MPEG2 "lossless" transcoding, as that's
what I was using it for.