[mythtv-users] Transcoding HD-PVR Recordings

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Sep 20 19:51:58 UTC 2010

On 9/20/2010 12:39 PM, Doug Vaughan wrote:
> John and Kirk,
>     I regularly edit and transcode HDPVR recordings. There are some
> restrictions which may not suit you but here is what I do.
>
> 1) I locked my STB to 1280x720p output. This keeps the recording size down but
> allows me to reliably use a video editor.

That's a *really* good idea! Even though we have a 60" plasma, I can *barely*
tell the difference between 720p and fully 1080. 720 seems just fine to me.
That would cut down storage and bandwidth requirements quite a bit.

> 2) I use a compiled version of Avidemux 2.4 as I found at least the Ubuntu
> packaged version could not handle the audio AC3 tracks. Avidemux has not
> worked for me with 1920x1080i HDPVR recordings. I have reliably edited up to
> 8Gb files if the 1280x720p restriction is adheared to. Although I rarely
> record more than 6Gb HDPVR file.

I'm looking for a Windows editing solution. But similarly, the Windows version
of avidemux couldn't hand the large 1080 files. I'll have to try it with 720
resolution files.

Thanks.