[mythtv-users] Media player suggestions

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 20 13:33:16 UTC 2010

On Monday, September 20, 2010 07:20:09 am bhaskins wrote:
> I'm looking for a media player/streamer box for what is essentially my
> wife's Samsung LCD.
>
> The current target is the Masscool/Patriot Box Office but any other
> suggestions would be more than welcome.
> A Blueray player with ethernet might even be an option but I have not
> been able to find out
> much about these.
>
> Now the big question is if any/all of these will do the skip forward and
> back, pause, etc from the supplied remote when used with an existing
> myth backend.
> This would be a wired box.
> It would be a major! added bonus if the box was linux "hackable".
>
> I almost always have one of my (several) Thinkpads up and running so
> that could do any additional administrative functions.

You might look at a Myka:

They are selling the older (non-ION) version for $89:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

Without the Myka software the device is essentially an NMT (Networked Media Tank), similar to the popcorn Hour.

With the Myka software, it's a hackable Linux device, but you could play with it without their software. They had an SDK
available for it, not sure if they still do.

It uses a Sigma-Designs SoC chip, and has played everything I have thrown at it, including MKV, VIDEO_TS folders, VOB
files, DVD ISO images, mpeg transport streams, even M2TS files (Blu-Ray streams).

It works well with the PlayON server, giving access to Netflix, and many other web video services.

It should work with Myth's UPnP server, but I've not yet been able to et a full frontend onto it, mostly due to a lack of
time to play with it enough to do that, but it might be possible.