[mythtv-users] Getting started questions

Ken Cheney kencheney at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 18 17:35:27 UTC 2010

This is my first venture into building my own DVR and I have a billion
questions.  I have worked some of them out by reading through some of the
archived messages, but I am hoping that if I offer my current state, and the
desired outcome, someone can tell me what makes the most sense.

Current state: I have Verizon FIOS with multi-room DVR - HD on one of the TVs
the other TV is non-HD.
We are planning to add a third TV that is near the HD TV.

Desired outcome:
1. Have a multi-room DVR that we can record 2 shows while watching another.
What is a good, better, best capture card for this?
2. Have the third TV be able to operate by only watching what is DVRed so I dont
have to buy another cable box from Verizon and pay the monthly on it.  More or
less the 3rd TV would become a monitor to view what is already taped.
3. Have all of the TVs be able to watch recorded shows
4. Have the non-HD tv be able to watch live shows and watch recorded shows.
5. Have the MythTV dvr be operated with a remote control.  (most of what I have
read I didnt really see anyone talk about a remote control, so I am guessing
almost anything will work and that it isnt a big deal)

THanks to all!