[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for fx5200

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 18 17:09:29 UTC 2010

On Saturday, September 18, 2010 07:44:09 am mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > That's about par for modern motherboards, as far as slots. You could have
> >a couple of PCI capture devices, if you need
> > more you could use USB or network (HDHR) units.
>
> I've not used all that many USB based media devices. I tried a USB ATSC
> receiver to see how it works but it runs super hot. I do see tons of USB
> based hardware these days, so maybe that's a solution instead of changing
> out my video card even?

I'm not sure how a USB device would replace a video card, unless you mean those USB " add a second video out" devices, in
which case I'm not aware of any such device that doesn't require special Windows drivers, none of them work for Linux, nor
would you want one if it did.

There are many USB capture devices, and you are not the only one to report heat problems with them.

Of course the HD-PVR is a USB device, and it's the only way to capture baseband HD with Myth at this time.

> > Not that I'm aware of. Composite is limited to SD, what sort of "HD" were
> > you thinking of? You can convert HDMI to DVI
> > easily, it the "composite" that would be a problem. Do you mean you want
> > component analog HD?
>
> Nope :). I mean that I'd like to have both composite output for when SD
> will do fine but I'd also like to have full HD output for when I want to
> fire up the projector to watch a movie. I need both because for the most
> part, we watch TV in a room which doesn't have HD so just tune into one of
> the modulator channels. When we want to sit down and enjoy a movie, then
> we prefer HD of course.

So you want simultaneous SD and HD outputs? Your options include recording both SD and HD versions of the program,
converting the HD version after recording, or trying to scale it as it plays back, I'm not sure how viable that would be.

But it sounds like you want to be able to have SD *or* HD, not necessarily both at the same time, so storing both versions
might work for you.

Disk space is cheap, storing an HD and an SD version might be the best solution, but I'd like to hear about other options.

> > The integrated Intel graphics on that mobo will not do VDPAU of course,
> >but with a beefy CPU you could do all decoding in
> > software, and thus have VGA and DVI outputs. I'd think you would want to
> > put a VDPAU-capable video card in that PCI-
> > Express slot.
>
> The mobo I'm thinking about has a duo 3.2 CPU and 4GB of ram.

Certainly enough to so software HD decoding, but having VDPAU do the grunt work is nice, if you have a PCI-Express slot
you should definitely put a VDPAU-capable card in it, they are remarkably cheap these days.