[mythtv-users] WD TV Live + MythTv Upnp problem (with solution)

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:04:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Jannik Sost <jannik.sost at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, the problem:
> Some recorded shows don't start to play on my WD TV Live via Upnp, although
> they are listed correctly. The WD device doesn't even request the recording,
> the DMARender on the WD TV just prints this debug message:
> "UpnpDispatch_MediaRenderer_AVTransport_SetAVTransportURI:2587:
> CurrentURIMetaDate element had too large value"
>
> The weird thing is, that recordings from tv-station's like ARD,ZDF,ARTE etc
> are playing fine (public service TV), the private channels like RTL,Pro7
> etc. didn't work. The former usually have a subtitle in their EPG data, the
> latter don't. When MythTV builds the mediamap for the recordings tree, it
> sets the title to "Title: Subtile" OR "Title: Description" if no subtitle is
> available. The leads to the long Metadata element that the WD complains
> about.
>
> My quick and dirty solution (I don't really know how to use diff :) ):
> In file: mythtv-0.23.1/programs/mythbackend/upnpcdstv.cpp replace:
> line 276:
> QString sName = sTitle + ": " + (sSubtitle.isEmpty() ? sDescription :
> sSubtitle);
> with this:
> QString sName = sTitle + ": " + (sSubtitle.isEmpty() ? "" : sSubtitle);
>
> Quick and dirty because if there's no description you can't distinguish two
> recordings with the same title. It would be better to truncate the
> description to a certain length...
>
> I don't know if this is a MythTV bug. Don't know if there's a limit for
> element length in the Upnp specification. It might also be the device's
> fault, but it's probably easier to make MythTv compatible.

Please create a ticket on trac so I can look into this post-0.24 release.
 The -users mailing list really isn't the right place for an apparent bug
report :)

Also, please include the UPnP's client agent string (you can find it by
running the backend with -v upnp).  The whole agent string, please.  It's
likely I may need to put in a specific exception.

Also, please include the length of the description of the offending show(s),
etc for debugging.

Thanks.