[mythtv-users] SSDs and Myth frontends ?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 18:23:06 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:

>BTW - cloning a drive to a smaller one is not as simple as moving to
>a larger drive. I suspect that as more people move to
>SSDs, which will tend to be smaller than the source drives, this
>problem will become more obvious. The simple DD approach
>causes problems with the partition table sizes, not a problem when
>moving to a larger drive, just resize them after the DD
>copy, but that won't work in the move to a smaller drive. It can be
>done, but is more complicated.

Personally, and it **is** a matter of personal preference, I'd not
normally* consider using dd to clone a disk.
I'd partition the drive (taking the opportunity to adjust the sizes),
make new filesystems, and then copy the files.

* There are exceptions, like when the disk is in some proprietary
format as in my colour laser printer.
--
Simon Hobson