[mythtv-users] MythNetvision Icons

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Fri Sep 17 16:12:53 UTC 2010

I am curious about two things with respect to the MythNetvision beta
plugin's icons.

First, is there a reason that the MythNetvision icons are included in
/usr/share/mythtv/mythnetvision rather than in
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default? With the exception of Mythnetvision,
it appears that plugins use /usr/share/mythtv/<plugin-name> for things
such as harvesting scripts (which would never be theme-able) and
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/default for things such as images (which might
(at least someday) be theme-able).

In addition, is there a reason that they are such high resolution? In
general, the default theme icons are relatively low resolution and more
graphically rich themes include higher resolution icon replacements as
part of their themes.

The reason I ask is that I noticed something when adding MythNetvision
support to MiniMyth. By default, the MiniMyth root file system has
included everything in /usr/share/mythtv except the the non-default
theme directories in /usr/share/mythtv/themes. Once I added
MythNetvision, I found that it increased the LZMA squashed root file
system size by 10%, which is much much more than any other MythTV plugin
(or more than any other software package, including Qt). In looking into
the reason, I found that /usr/share/mythtv/mythnetvision/icons includes
images, many of which have file sizes that are much larger than the
largest image files in /usr/share/mythtv/themes/default.