[mythtv-users] AT&T UVerse thoughts?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Sep 16 21:43:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:40 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>> > Good advice for any provider. There's no hype involved here. Just
haven't
>> > been crazy about DirecTV and Time-Warner cable was bad enough to
drive me to
>> > DirecTV so....
>>
>> uVerse's problem has always been egregiously poor picture quality
>> because of bandwidth starvation, and limited numbers of boxes per
>> household for precisely that reason.  They market themselves as an
>> alternative to both cable and FIOS, but in reality they are far from
>> it.  If neither of the above bother you, go for it.
>>
>> Also, Microsoft STBs of questionable stability.
>
>   DTV is supposed to run Linux on theirs but it doesn't seem to help.
>
>   Are you just assuming these STBs are crashprone because of MS (not
>   that I blame you for that, I would hold the same bias myslef)? Or
>   have you heard of actual problems?

Yes, I have heard frequent reports both on AVSForum and from neighbors
about frequent STB lockups.  I've also experienced the picture quality
issues firsthand.

>   Although I suppose I could ask some of my neighbors that have been
>   subject to AT&T's recent marketing blitz around here.
>
>   They keep coming back. They're worse than evangelists.

> Yes, they show up often.  The funniest argument I heard so far was,
> "It's fiber-optics!"  As though that in and of itself was worth
> anything at all... and given the fact that it's Fiber to the
> neighborhood, and DSL the rest of the way.

> Robert

They're pretty persistent here, too.  The last time they showed up here, I
told them I'd "think about it" when I could simply plug their cable into
my Linux computer running MythTV, and it would "just work" - and asked him
not to come back again until that's the case.

I got a bit of a chuckle when one of them turned to his compatriot and
grumbled "that's the third time I've heard that this week."  I'm sure he
had no clue what I was talking about, but it was funny nonetheless!!

Bob