[mythtv-users] Bindings not upgrading

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 16 17:19:25 UTC 2010

  On 09/16/2010 07:20 AM, aaron wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 23:48, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> ... How hard is it to convince Perl to search for modules in
>>> /usr/local ? Or should I just give in and let it install in /usr ?
>> Well, you have a couple of options...
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/299202#299202
>>
>> (that, specifically being my post where I tried to stop this change from
>> happening the first time it came up).  IMHO, all the options are ugly.
> Hm, interesting. I vaguely recall reading that discussion the first
> time round. 2007... I wonder what I've been doing all this time that
> I'm only *now* having problems. Maybe I only *think* I've been
> upgrading :)

No, #4135 was closed invalid (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/299180#299180 ).
However, ever-persistent users decided to open a new ticket 2 1/2 years
later (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/426325#426325 ) and
this time, the squeaky wheels won.

It just wasn't worth arguing since it will keep coming up.  So, 7 weeks
ago, the change went in.  Now, it just needs modified so it only
pretends to know more about Perl than Perl knows about Perl when doing
so will work, anyway.  And once that's done, it will actually be better
than the old version, but in the meantime, it breaks systems for some
users (instead of just always working, like before).

> I'll have to spend a bit more time reading through that thread to see
> what I can do.... I suppose I could move my installation to /usr, but
> I'd rather not :)

The part about recompiling Perl isn't about moving its location, but
about specifying Configure arguments that add new directories to the
@INC.  See Perl's INSTALL for more.  (And pass on what you find to your
packager.)

> It was late and I was very tired, so I'll have to try the Python stuff
> again and verify whether I have the same problem with that.
>> I've been considering making it so our configure only overrides Perl's
>> preference when appropriate.  Maybe I'll do the patch tonight and see if I
>> can get it approved for inclusion before 0.24 release.
> Awesome :)   I can live without working bindings for now... I have an
> issue with X segfaulting a lot suddenly. Out of the blue, nothing
> changed (more famous last words). But that's a matter for a different
> thread... ;-)

I'm thinking this may be a better patch for just after 0.24 (so it can
get some testing in trunk before being moved to stable).  In the
meantime, feel free to just revert:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/25450?format=diff&new=25450 .

Mike