[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Thu Sep 16 16:02:08 UTC 2010

> Personally I don't think there is much
> reason to single out Google.

I believe that Google is only being used as a very major factor, but certainly, not the only company/entity out there doing this. As I said in another reply, take a look at the pattern, mylife.com for example, and since I've heard of them, I see others popping up now.

Obviously, social sites must be selling their information else sites like this could not survive on search engines alone to get so much information on you.
Plus, mylife for example, just recently started marketing it's services and already, are advertising nationwide. That's BIG money.
Perhaps investors, sure, but it means there's a LOT of money to be, and being made in profiling.

> As for Google doing statistical analysis on email in order to present ads,
> I don't see how that is any different to ISPs doing statistical analysis on
> email in order to determine if it's spam.

Don't fool yourself, it goes WAY beyond advertising to you. There are countless companies out there that want to buy, perhaps even governments. Who's monitoring that?