[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

MacNean Tyrrell dardack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:31:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> On 9/14/2010 8:35 AM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
>
>> For YEARS, I've been warning people about the things they are doing
>> online, the social sites, especially through companies like google and
>> others, facebook, etc. How do such companies get so fantastically huge so
>> fast, profiling, of course, and
>>

> I just pointed Mike to this link:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/01/technology/01link.html
>
> This is the result of not reading EULA's. IF ANYTHING, to understand what
> online sites
> that do something for you for FREE are doing with information you give
> them.
>

>  -Ben

But didn't the photographer select CC with Commercial?  I mean that's his
problem, not flikrs.  Personally I use gmail/google docs/picasa/chrome/etc.
 Yes they have a bunch of info on me to create a profile.  I hope they
protect it, but i know they might not.  I'm willing to give up this for ease
my life/free.  My thing is, the gov't could get this profile even without
google, as they could suponea companies that exist online, and I do so much,
from shopping (living rurally this has been a great time/money saver) to
searches to almost anything.  Now I try not to be on facebook (my wife made
me make one, but I haven't posted much on it), not on any other socialness.

I'm more concerned with what the gov't could do with that data then a
private corp.  Why I think laws need to be stricter on what the gov't can
get with/without warrant.  But most people are swayed by think of the
children argument, and our lives will be more and more scrutinized/outlawed
over time.  This isn't an internet/google issue, but a people/gov't issue.

> --
> Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.

Sincerely,

MacNean C. Tyrrell