[mythtv-users] AT&T UVerse thoughts?

Rett D. Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Wed Sep 15 20:48:43 UTC 2010

blake wrote:

> Well, you know, I'm doing DirecTV right now through S-Video. It kills
> me that I can switch over to a gorgeous picture--as long as I don't
> mind not having my DVR. (And even more that the culprit is
> greed-driven stupidity.)
I had Uverse for awhile last year and it was ok in terms of picture
quality and stability.  I did have an issue getting my $15 Serial IR
blaster to accurately control the Uverse STB's though.  The front panel
of the STB is opaque enough to make it difficult to locate the sensor,
and if there was light shining on the face of the STB the blaster
wouldn't work right.  If I turned the lights off it would work fine -
pretty strange as I never had that issue with Dish or a Cox/Motorola
cable box.

Still not sure how you would get better than S-Video into mythtv with
UVerse though, unless you have a HD-PVR.

One thing I did experience was a 3 day outage with U-Verse because their
helpdesk lost my ticket and the field techs couldn't figure out the
problem.  Turned out to be something at the VRAD (a kind of DSLam I am
guessing).

Anyway, that is my two cents worth.  I went back to Dish Network since I
bought a vacation home and didn't want to pay for two services.

Rett D. Walters
http://www.linuxpoweruser.com