[mythtv-users] different distros for frontend and backend?

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 18:15:50 UTC 2010

Does anyone use different distributions for their frontend and backend systems?

Currently, I have a combined FE/BE system running Arch Linux.  I also
have a CentOS-based fileserver.

Both systems currently run 24/7.  However, I was thinking, I could
save some power if I moved the backend to the CentOS fileserver, and
let the Arch frontend hibernate/suspend when not in use.  I could also
"downgrade" the frontend to something like an ION system, and be
smaller/quieter/lower power overall.

My only concern is how tolerable Myth is to version mis-matches
between the FE and BE.  My expectation is that the FE should be
backwards-compatible, so as long as my BE is always the same or older
version as the FE, I'm ok.  (In other words, I'm sure the two
distributions don't keep to the same update schedule.)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt