[mythtv-users] Bindings not upgrading

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:41:31 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been using trunk for years and years and usually don't have any
problems, but at some point I started having issues with the bindings.
I managed to ignore it for the most part but this weekend I started
having a different issue and tried updating to current trunk. After
upgrading I started getting errors in the backend log which I
eventually tracked down to a script that's using the bindings:

myth at myth:~$ myth_ping.pl
Incompatible protocol version (56 != 62) at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/MythTV.pm line 651.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/MythTV.pm line 377.
Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?

(this is a script that Mike Dean --- I think... --- posted some time ago)

I also have problems with my Python bindings:

myth at myth:~/build/mythcal-read-only$ ./mythcal
2010-09-15 06:04:34.781 Python Database Connection: Using connection
settings from /home/myth/.mythtv/config.xml
2010-09-15 06:04:34.830 Python Database Connection: Database schema
mismatch: we speak 1262 but database speaks 1263
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mythcal", line 109, in <module>
    recordings = get_recordings_from_backend()
  File "./mythcal", line 91, in get_recordings_from_backend
    mythtv = MythBE()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/mythproto.py", line
135, in __init__
    BECache.__init__(self, backend, db=db, opts=opts)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/mythproto.py", line
60, in __init__
    self.db = DBCache(db)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/database.py", line
936, in __init__
    self._schema_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/MythTV/database.py", line
1019, in _check_schema
    raise MythDBError(MythError.DB_SCHEMAMISMATCH, value, sver, local)
MythTV.exceptions.MythDBError: Mismatched schema version for
'DBSchemaVer': database speaks version 1263, we speak version 1262

Unfortunately my Perl is very rusty and my Python is nonexistent, so
maybe it's something I need to update in the script and don't know...

I had two ideas:
  1. Perhaps the installation location changed at some point and I
have two versions of the bindings... say, one in /usr and another in
/usr/local ? I am installing Myth in /usr/local
  2. Perhaps I am missing some dependencies that it's not telling me
about and/or not checking for in "configure" ?

I'm running on Slackware 13.0. My Python version is 2.6.2 ... I didn't
think to check the Perl version; I can do that tonight when I get
home.

Any ideas? I would be happy to provide any additional information or
diagnostics.

By the way, I was having this problem for quite a while before now but
I always managed to avoid it "somehow" ... thinking back, I may have
avoided upgrading.

Thanks!
aaron