[mythtv-users] "Error opening jump program file" when switching tuners: is this a known problem and did I really fix it?

Johan johan.vanderkolk at dommel.be
Tue Sep 14 21:54:19 UTC 2010

Joe schreef:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM, David Lasker <dave at altosdesign.com> wrote:
>
>> When I first set up the system, I could watch digital TV on the HVR-1250 and
>> analog TV on the HVR-1600 just fine. But when I tried to switch to the
>> HVR-1600's digital tuner, the front-end would fail with a pop-up dialog:
>>
>> "Error opening jump program file"
>>
>> Once this happened, I couldn't start "Watch TV" without getting that error.
>> I had to kill and restart the FE and BE to watch TV again. I'm not sure if
>> the
>> backend was working and retrying the failed tuner, or if it was hung.
>>

> I dealt with the same problem after my recent upgrade to 0.23-fixes.
> I am using a HDHomeRun tuner for the few stations that come in clear
> QAM from Time Warner Cable, and a PVR-150 connected to the cable box
> for the others that don't.
>
> Here's my story -- TWC likes to rearrange these on occasion, so I have
> to do a channel scan to find them.  I did this as part of my upgrade
> because some channels had recently stopped working.  But, they never
> get detected with the right names/callsigns/xmltvid's so I have to use
> LiveTV, tune to each detected channel, figure out what it really is,
> and update the callsign and xmltvid to get it all right.  Probably
> 80-90% of the channels that are found are actually NOT viewable.
>
> The interesting thing is that when live TV tries to tune some of these
> non-viewable (possibly encrypted) channels, it fails back out to the
> main menu and pops up that "jump file" error -- and after that live tv
> won't work at all until I restart the FE.  Not all the non-viewable
> channels had this behavior, but a good portion of them did.
>
> The only workaround I found when I hit one of these was to shut down
> the FE/BE, go into mythtv-setup and set the starting channel for live
> tv to something that was likely a good channel, delete the problem
> channel, and repeat.  Now that I've got all the "bad" channels
> removed, live tv works OK (although I don't typically use it).
>
> So the short version is I believe it's correlated to getting garbage
> in the video stream ... but I don't have a real answer either.  I'm
> interested to hear if anyone else does!

Having this problem all the time (but not every time :) ). Channels are
probably still encrypted while Myth tries to put them on screen.
A longer "grace period" before displaying the error message would be
nice for my setup, but as it only seemed to affect me, and only while
viewing live TV, I decided not to dig in to it.

Johan