[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Tue Sep 14 15:54:24 UTC 2010

A good list for you to sub to is "The Network Neutrality Squad" run by one of the industry "watch-guys" since it's just one person, Lauren Weinstein.

We discuss the up coming "applications in the cloud" problems -- and privacy is a huge issue.

You are correct. You have the same reasons why I don't like using gmail.
I have, do and will avoid certain applications in the cloud because of privacy *AND* ownership/copyright.

Granted, I feel if you put pictures of your using your cool new phone on your website, someone may
"take" them and use them... without your permission, but using a site like picassa or flikr, or facebook --

SIGNING it away just seems a little nuts... and HAS happened where the user didn't know.

Imagine a company selling off your pics to other companies and making millions... and you get nothing.
That's *pretty much* all the online picture sites in a nutshell.

Now... imagine that everywhere you've signed up, those companies are selling that information as well.
That's been going on for a LOOOONNNGgggg time.

Network Neutrality Squad... http://www.nnsquad.org/
You'll like it.

We talk about the NBC/ScumCast merger as well. (ComCast's VP of engineering is on the list too)

Cheers,

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.