[mythtv-users] Mythweb "Unable to connect to the master backend"

Mark Adams madams9 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 15:33:38 UTC 2010

Okay, I have mythweb and mythfrontend running on my primary server which
is open to the Internet. I can see that port 6543 is open on my network
and forwarded to the mythbackend running on my htpc (which is not the
primary server facing the Internet).

Trouble is, when I point my browser to http://<my.domain>/mythweb, I get:

    Error

Unable to connect to the master backend at 127.0.0.1:6543 (hostname: pvr).
Is it running?

I get this whether I'm forwarding that port on my router or not.  I have
configured mythtv-setup's backend settings and mythfrontend's setup both
to point to the backend on my htpc.  I've tried it by hostname and by IP
address (I can connect from the server to the htpc just fine by either
hostname or IP).

Now, unless I'm missing something, the master backend address in the
error above should be showing the ip address of the htpc and not the
loopback address of anything.  The master backend on the htpc is running
btw.  I can connect to mythweb running on the htpc from within my lan
just fine.  I want to be able to connect to mythweb running on the
server from the Internet.

And here's a funky piece of information that confuses me more.  If I
forward port 6543 on my router to my htpc, a port scan on my domain
shows that port open.

> nmap my.domain
>
> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-14 09:27 MDT
> Interesting ports on xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.albq.qwest.net (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx):
> Not shown: 995 closed ports
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
> 6543/tcp open     mythtv

If I forward that port to my web server, it does not show up in a basic
port scan:

> # nmap my.domain
>
> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2010-09-14 09:27 MDT
> Interesting ports on xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.albq.qwest.net (xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx):
> Not shown: 996 closed ports
> PORT     STATE    SERVICE
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx
> xxx/tcp   open     xxxxxx

Those scan are all taken with firewalls down.

Does this look familiar to anybody?

Any ideas?

Mark