[mythtv-users] OT: Google - big brother? or I going mad?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 14 14:14:22 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 14, 2010 08:08:28 am mike at grounded.net wrote:
> > What's the Google "worst case scenario" that's keeping you
> > (collective, not personal "you") up at night?
>
> For most, there's nothing to hide but it doesn't give ANYONE the right to
> stalk electronically which is what all of these companies are doing.
> Through corroborative efforts, they are able to practically piece your
> life together, every little ounce of it to the point where it's
> ridiculous. Think of all the little innocent poles you've replied to
> online, innocent little things that in total, give a total view of your
> beliefs, your likes, dislikes.
>
> Come on, when are people going to wake up and realize what's going on?
> Whether there is something to 'fear' or not, who wants that kind of world?
> Are governments going to invest into companies like google because they
> can do a better job of spying then their own resources can? If it's not
> already happening, it's only a matter of time and that's not paranoia,
> it's simply what we're all allowing it to be.

Although perhaps getting close to Godwin's Law, the Jews in pre-WWII Germany thought they had "nothing to hide".

It can be very hard to predict the results of giving too much information to anyone without a need for it.

Schedules Direct has a legitimate reason to know what channels are available to my Myth system, but not to know which of
them I watch, so they do not have that information, and they don't ask for it. If they were to do so, I would be
suspicious.

But this is getting way OT.