[mythtv-users] New Sandy Bridge Chips......Intel on chip GPU capable of VDPAU performance?

mike mikpolniak at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 14 14:02:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 02:46:10 +0100
Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The new Intel Sandy Bridge chips were announced today that will
> include up to 8 processors (mid next year) and Hyperthreading so 16
> virtual processors.
>
> They also include a new on chip GPU.

I recently switched from Nvidia graphics to Intel Core i3-530 CPU with
integrated graphics. In my combined backend-frontend this easily
records 4 HD streams while simultaneously commflagging all 4 HD streams
and watching video.

For mythtv the Intel integrated graphics performs just as good as my
Nvidia 9500 graphics card with or without vdpau. Plus you have a low
wattage, powerfull 2.92Ghz dual-core (4-threads) cpu for
about $100.

Sandy Bridge has cpu and graphics on single 32nm single die (65
watts TDP) while the i3-530 Clarkdale has 2 dies: 32nm cpu  alongside
45nm graphics processor (73 watts TDP).

As far as my mythtv backend-frontend usage, Sandy Bridge will use a
few watts less but probably cost more and perform the same.

Now you will be able to get more powerfull and expensive Sandy Bridge
processors if you find a need greater than my mythtv backend-frontend.