[mythtv-users] Can I post-configure multirec on HDHR

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Tue Sep 14 00:50:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> On 14/09/2010, at 8:02 AM, Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in setting up multi-rec on my dual tuner HDHR.
>>
>> However, in reading the wiki, it says
>>
>> "Setup Tuners / Capture Cards
>>
>> If you want to use the multirec feature, you need to delete your
>> multirec-compatible capture cards in mythtv-setup, recreate them as before,
>> and then (key step) choose the desired number of 'virtual' tuners for each
>> card using the Record options (Max Tuners default=2).
>>
>> Setting the number of virtual tuner >1 for a capture card enables multirec
>> and governs how many parallel recordings can be made from a capture card,
>> assuming the channels to be recorded from are broadcast on the same
>> multiplex. "
>>

>> Key concern is >delete your multirec-compatible capture cards in
>> mythtv-setup, recreate them as before<
>>
>> If my BE is working with the HDHR running fine (w/o multirec) do I
>> *REALLY* need to delete the tuner?  Or can I modify the tuner with the
>> virtual tuner
>
> No you can just go in and modify the number of virtual tuners and that is actually preferable if your using live tv due to the order of the virtual tuners
>
> Cheers
>
> Anthony

There's nothing scary about deleting your tuners - recordings stick
around and you don't need to rescan channels or redo your guide data.
Just don't delete your video source because you can reconnect your new
tuners to it.

My understanding is that if you delete and re-create you'll get:
Virtual tuner 1 -> HDHR 1
Virtual tuner 2 -> HDHR 1
Virtual tuner 3 -> HDHR 2
Virtual tuner 4 -> HDHR 2

But if you change number of virtual tuners:
Virtual tuner 1 -> HDHR 1 (already exists)
Virtual tuner 2 -> HDHR 2 (already exists)
Virtual tuner 3 -> HDHR 1 (will be created)
Virtual tuner 4 -> HDHR 2 (will be created)

(My attempt to explain) why the second setup is preferable:
In your setup, LiveTV (if you've enabled "avoid conflicts between Live
TV and scheduled shows") will pick virtual tuner 4, then virtual tuner
1.. and so on. Recordings pick virtual tuner 1, virtual tuner 2... and
so on.
Using the setup you get from changing the number of virtual tuners
will mean pressing NEXTCARD in LiveTV always alternates physical
tuners. You'll only need to press NEXTCARD when watching LiveTV and
the recorder you're watching is locked to a multiplex. The benefit is
marginal but it's slightly more convenient.

This was based on reading about multirec from old posts on the list.
If anyone wants to chime in and correct me I'd be glad to get an
education too!