[mythtv-users] Can I post-configure multirec on HDHR

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Mon Sep 13 22:02:41 UTC 2010

I'm interested in setting up multi-rec on my dual tuner HDHR.

However, in reading the wiki, it says

"Setup Tuners / Capture Cards

If you want to use the multirec feature, you need to delete your
multirec-compatible capture cards in mythtv-setup, recreate them as before,
and then (key step) choose the desired number of 'virtual' tuners for each
card using the Record options (Max Tuners default=2).

Setting the number of virtual tuner >1 for a capture card enables multirec
and governs how many parallel recordings can be made from a capture card,
assuming the channels to be recorded from are broadcast on the same
multiplex. "

Key concern is >delete your multirec-compatible capture cards in
mythtv-setup, recreate them as before<

If my BE is working with the HDHR running fine (w/o multirec) do I
*REALLY* need to delete the tuner?  Or can I modify the tuner with the
virtual tuner value and get the desired effect?