[mythtv-users] Multi-Input Cards

mike at grounded.net mike at grounded.net
Mon Sep 13 16:55:44 UTC 2010

> Sounds like you have/had a pretty good setup. Using NTSC modulators is a
> good solution, but limited to SD as you
> mentioned.

Mono SD at that when using the modulators but full SD/HD when using a media player connected directly to TV.

> Unfortunately ATSC modulators are very expensive, though it
> would work well, but require digital TVs at each
> potential viewing site.

I had posted another message but I think I used the wrong terminology at the time. Basically, what I was asking at the time was if I could use myth as a central server where I could output SD/HD directly on the TV via an STB or media player.

For example, I've got this popcorn hour thing, M34A I think it is, which does just that very well. It's cheap, does SD/HD and works over the network.

I believe what I've not visualized just yet is how much myth itself will be handling. For example, my thought was to have inputs for every device, having myth doing the recordings, etc, perhaps via multiple backends. Then, to be able to somehow 'tune' into the various inputs/outputs which I would aggregate onto Myth. I'm not sure this is a viable idea though.

I guess I was/am mixing myth and IP TV type of ideas together in respect to 'tuning'. But, that would work also but haven't found anything out there that would do that. I would then use myth for simpler PVR functions, still do multi-inputs, but for outputs, I would send each live output to it's own IP channel. I don't know, maybe I'm not making any sense :).

> You could use slave B/Es, especially if you run out of PCI slots, but the
> above setup would work with a single backend.

I have three 8-blade blade servers running low power redundant apps such as spam servers, dns servers, etc, which are just 850Mhz/512MB blades. They run Linux incredibly well and have spare blades. Each blade has one PCI slot so I was thinking that I could use those as additional backends.

Mike