[mythtv-users] Video card hell. Need help.

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 13 16:21:51 UTC 2010

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Dan Smith <mrplowdan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, didn't notice until after I hit send this wasn't going to the list.
>>>
>>> You're right.  I don't think I mentioned my distro.  I'm running
>>> MythBuntu 10.04.
>>>
>>> The driver is the latest package (which was installed with MythBuntu).
>>>  I've tried reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.
>>>
>>> Another update item:  It seems I'm trying to solve two problems.  The
>>> problem about drm failing to open a device appears to be a common
>>> failing if nouveau driver components get out of sync.  Not what I
>>> really want to solve anyway.
>>>
>>> For some reason, when I specify the nvidia driver in xorg.conf, even
>>> one built using nvidia-xconfig, any attempt to boot will lock up even
>>> before any log file entries get posted to /var/log/*.  I have to pull
>>> out a live CD linux image to get into the disk.  I'm getting real
>>> tired of having to resort to the MythBuntu 10.04 live/install CD (and
>>> often even going back to the MythBuntu 9.04 live/install CD since the
>>> 10.04 has a bad habit of trying to display standard VGA modes to the
>>> TV-Out and ignore the connected VGA monitor).
>>>
>>> I'm just about ready to pitch out this practically new motherboard and
>>> this motherboard on anyone else and B) at least want the satisfaction
>>> of ***DESTROYING*** it myself.  I'm that frustrated.  Especially since
>>> I A) had it working with a GeForce 8400 (albeit with jerky video play)
>>> and B) momentarily had it working about eight hours ago until I
>>> rebooted.
>>>
>>> Sigh.  Ain't linux wonderful?
>>>
>>> Craig.

[coming into this thread late. Can't find earlier posts on the list, so...]

My proprietary Nvidia graphics shit the bed after the last kernel
upgrade (-42?)
Been out of town all weekend so haven't had time to sort it. I was able
to get video by using the standard kernel instead of the pae kernel.
It's still flaky but it works.

Here's a link to a thread, containing other links to follow, that I used
to neuter nouveau and allow the nvidia binary to work (prior to the last
kernel upgrade, that is...)
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1559254>