[mythtv-users] The HDHomerun Prime is supposed to be linux-compatible

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:47:36 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>  On 9/12/2010 22:32, Phil Bridges wrote:
>>
>> (at least for non-5c channels).  How about the Hauppauge USB version?
>>
>> http://www.silicondust.com/company/news/
>
> Channels are not '5c'.  Channels are marked 'copy freely', 'copy once', or
> 'copy never'.  Your cable box requires a 5c handshake and encrypted
> connection for any playback device that is to receive 'copy once' and 'copy
> never' content over firewire.
>
> As discussed, earlier on this mailing list, the HDHomeRun Prime is already
> supported and tested with MythTV, and will be able to record any 'copy
> freely' content.  In addition, one of the developers is working with Ceton
> to get their CableCard tuner working with MythTV.  Hauppauge has
> historically been helpful getting support under Linux, when they were not
> prevented from doing so by a 3rd party NDA, so I would expect one of the
> LinuxTV developers to pick up the drivers for it.

Perhaps next time I should be much more specific in what I type.  I am
perfectly aware of the handshakes that are required, and the markings
on the channel.  I was attempting to not be overly verbose.

I also am aware that the HDHR Prime is Linux compatible.  My question
was regarding the Hauppauge USB version - not that I can see a reason
(other than cost) to choose it over the Silicon Dust version.