[mythtv-users] Video card hell. Need help.

Dan Smith mrplowdan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 03:31:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, didn't notice until after I hit send this wasn't going to the list.
>
> You're right.  I don't think I mentioned my distro.  I'm running
> MythBuntu 10.04.
>
> The driver is the latest package (which was installed with MythBuntu).
>  I've tried reinstalling, but that didn't change anything.
>
> Another update item:  It seems I'm trying to solve two problems.  The
> problem about drm failing to open a device appears to be a common
> failing if nouveau driver components get out of sync.  Not what I
> really want to solve anyway.
>
> For some reason, when I specify the nvidia driver in xorg.conf, even
> one built using nvidia-xconfig, any attempt to boot will lock up even
> before any log file entries get posted to /var/log/*.  I have to pull
> out a live CD linux image to get into the disk.  I'm getting real
> tired of having to resort to the MythBuntu 10.04 live/install CD (and
> often even going back to the MythBuntu 9.04 live/install CD since the
> 10.04 has a bad habit of trying to display standard VGA modes to the
> TV-Out and ignore the connected VGA monitor).
>
> I'm just about ready to pitch out this practically new motherboard and
> this motherboard on anyone else and B) at least want the satisfaction
> of ***DESTROYING*** it myself.  I'm that frustrated.  Especially since
> I A) had it working with a GeForce 8400 (albeit with jerky video play)
> and B) momentarily had it working about eight hours ago until I
> rebooted.
>
> Sigh.  Ain't linux wonderful?
>
> Craig.

Did you install the nvidia driver with Hardware drivers (aka jockey-gtk)?
You said you used nvidia-xconfig so you must have at least part of the
nvidia driver installed but getting nouveau errors is odd. I'd stick with
the 8400gs once you get the driver issues sorted, it has VDPAU and even the
pci varient works well for smooth HD playback (well there are two revisions
with the same model name and the old one doesn't work).