[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase fails when run automatically. CLI works fine

Jason Chambers lists at purplish-monkey.com
Sat Sep 11 23:00:28 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 22:28, malcolm wrote:
> $ sudo locate tv_grab_uk_rt,  yields
>
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/channel_ids
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/channel_ids.meta
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/prog_titles_to_process
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/prog_titles_to_process.meta
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/utf8_fixups
> /home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/tv_grab_uk_rt/utf8_fixups.meta
> /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt
> /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt
> /usr/local/share/man/man1/tv_grab_uk_rt.1p
> /usr/share/man/man1/tv_grab_uk_rt.1p.gz
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt/channel_ids
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt/channels_platforms
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt/prog_titles_to_process
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt/regional_channels_by_postcode
> /usr/share/xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt/utf8_fixups
>
> which might mean i have two version installed, but the date time stamp
> on the 'tv_grab_uk_rt' directories indicate they were updated at the
> same time as the recent xmltv install, so i assumed they are the same
> and shouldn't be causing my problem.

The two tv_grab_uk_rt directories are not odd.  One is the set of files
distributed with xmltv and the other (in
/home/malcolm/.xmltv/supplement/) are the ones that get downloaded from
the XMLTV server each time before the Radio Times content is processed.

However what is odd is that you have two tv_grab_uk_rt executables, one
in /usr/bin and another in /usr/local/bin:

> /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt
> /usr/local/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt

Looking in the database (videosource table) the grabber is stored
/without/ a path name, so which one actually gets used will depend upon
the PATH in effect when mythfilldatabase is ran.  Which is probably why
you get different results when ran on a schedule vs. interactively at
the shell prompt.

Assuming your shell puts /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin, I would guess
that /usr/local/bin is the correct working version and /usr/bin is an
old version that is now broken in someway after you manually updated XMLTV.

However only you know what you did to "manually update XMLTV" so if its
not obvious to you which is the correct one, and running both
tv_grab_uk_rt commands directly doesn't make anything clearer I would
remove /all traces/ of XMLTV and then reinstall it again properly.

(XMLTV isn't just the tv_grab_uk_rt script - there are lots of
supporting libraries too - so depending upon what you did you may have
multiple versions of those lying around as well ...)

--
Regards,
Jason