[mythtv-users] Still no sound in MythTV with WinTV-HVR 950Q

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Sep 11 02:39:58 UTC 2010

On 09/10/2010 03:13 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Adam Jimerson<vendion at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> That would be hard I have no recordings because this is my first time
>> setting up mythtv.
>>
> In that case, you should use some kind of sample file from somewhere,
> perhaps Hauppauge or Silicon Dust have some.  Just something to confirm that
> you can do playback with "mythavtest" and get sound.  You want to isolate if
> your problem is playback or recording in Myth.
>
> Kevin

Kevin is right. You probably can find some short files at
/usr/share/sounds/alsa on your system.
I would first check the settings on alsamixer..turn ON everything and
turn everything UP. My laptop, for whatever reason, NEVER keeps saves
and restores its settings. I have to unmute the speaker and raise the
PCM level EVERY time I boot. My desktop and the mythbox do not have that
problem...Basic but an easily overlooked item. You *may* have set them
correctly, but you need to verify that they are still correct.

Next use aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav to see that you
actually have some output, outside of myth.

Then try mplayer to play a video file, or even an audio track. If you
really don't have anything to play you could rip one of your DVD's, to
create a file you can test with.

If those work, then it is clearly a myth settings problem and
notwithstanding your problems, should be relatively simple to fix since
there are only so many combinations of settings.

HTH
Geoff