[mythtv-users] how to resolve a suboptimal scheduling situation

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Sep 10 20:45:40 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 15:29 -0500, David Engel wrote:

> I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it's intended to
> work.

Well, it's not so much that "I don't like it" as much as I am just
trying to illustrate another optimization that the scheduler could
perform that it does not currently.

> As I've already
> said, however, I don't anticipate any major changes.

Fair enough.

> I sense this discussion quickly devolving into another soft padding
> quagmire,

Naw.  I really don't want to go there.  You have been incredibly helpful
and I want to thank you for that, not drag you into any quagmires.  :-)

> If you'd like to see your "total schedule score analysis"
> idea implemented, you're free to code it up and propose a patch.

Yeah.  I realize that.  Sadly my coding bandwidth is low these days.

I was just throwing out the idea to see if it was interesting enough for
somebody who didn't have the additional overhead of learning the
existing scheduler code to (quickly with any luck) code up for their own
interest.

No hard feelings if nobody wants to.  I know if it gets itchy enough for
me here I could take a whack at it.

Cheers, and thanks again for all the help and patience.

b.