[mythtv-users] Do GeForce GT220s run hot? Was rebooting my system on anything above VDAPUA slim.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 03:50:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > GPU fan is not working and looks hard to replace. The fan looks designed
> for
> > the heatsink, and finding a replacement heatsink isn't easy either.
>
> When I was in your shoes, I found an easy fix: Zalman ZM-NB32K. I
> chose it to replace the grinding HS+fan on my 8400GS because it has
> "universal" mounting arms to fit the diagonally-mounted GPU, and
> because it was cheap. I pointed a 40x20mm 12V fan running at 5V at it,
> and now I typically see 60°C with peaks of 69°C watching HD content at
> 82°F ambient (note: I have also underclocked the GPU to 333MHz). I
> beleive a 40mm fan could be mounted to the top of the NB32K if you
> used the correct size of wood screw to bite into the cooling fins for
> even better cooling than my "sticky-taped nearby" fan, but of course
> this tall assembly would protrude over most if not all of your
> adjacent PCI slots.

I never thought of a northbridge cooler, good work!

Trouble is the PCIe slot in my small form factor case is quite close to the
motherboard's northbridge heatsink, So i'd need to ensure it was going to
fit. It might also eacerbat heast problems to have the heatsinks so close
together.

still, certainly worth a look!