[mythtv-users] Any easy way to set up local HD channels via QAM?

Seth Heckard seth.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:47:30 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have been a mythtv user since the early days, but for the last
several years I lived in a different city and never had any real
trouble getting the channels set up.  All I care about are the
networks in HD.  4 channels, that's it.  I have a (relatively ancient)
AirStar HD-5000 PCI card, and it has never let me down before.

I recently moved to Northern Virginia and have Comcast.  I tried and
failed to set up the channels about three months ago, but now that the
new TV season is approaching it's more a priority.

If I scan for channels via myth-setup, I get about 200 channels with
nothing to distinguish them other than a channel number.  Trying to
individually go through the channels in Live TV gives about 40 that
tune, but it's a frustrating process because the frontend crashes
about every other channel (I guess because most are encrypted?)
However, through that I found all the networks but Fox.

Next, I tried scte65scan.  It set up all the SD channels with channel
names and IDs (although anything in extended basic cable is
encrypted), but no HD channels.  Even after scanning PSIP data, I get
the HD channels in the database but none of them tune (and Live TV
dies on each one).

Short of getting rid of Comcast (which is not an option right now, I
am happy with their internet service), how do I get the HD channels
loaded easily?  I could do some editing of the SQL and get some hybrid
of what scte65scan found plus the HD channels I found on my own, but I
still don't have Fox.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks.

Seth