[mythtv-users] Ways to jump to a window at startup

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 08:02:56 UTC 2010

On 9 September 2010 08:40, Chris Adams <rocket at extremelan.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Another Sillyname
> <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 9 September 2010 08:07, Chris Adams <rocket at extremelan.net> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking into programming some buttons on my remote to launch
>>> mythfrontend directly into various screens. For instance say a user
>>> presses the "Guide" button, mythfrontend launches and the user is
>>> immediately presented with the EPG. Bypassing the menus.
>>>
>>> The only way I can think of is to launch mythfrontend then frantically
>>> poll the telnet socket so I can send it a jump command before the menu
>>> is displayed. Haven't tried it (yet) but it seems this will flicker
>>> since the main menu will display briefly then be replaced by the
>>> desired screen. Not a great user experience, but acceptable.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done this? Is there a more elegant way?
>>>
>>> NB. Sadly the only relevant command-line option I could find is one to
>>> launch a plugin. So MythVideo could be started this way but not the
>>> EPG or the watch recordings screen.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Chris
>>>

>> Chris
>>
>> Are you using LIRC?
>>
>> If so are you using just Infra Red or any other kind of remote (say a
>> PS3 Bluetooth one)?
>>
>> Regards
>
> LIRC. I'd use irexec to launch a script, so the button could do
> anything a script could.

I've got a bunch of scripts that start myth automatically from the
remote when it's not running so if they will save you time happy to
send them.

Having a quick think about what you're trying to do you in effect want
to 'inject' either the irbutton commands into the running process or I
suppose possibly the equivalent keyboard keypress.

You could look at use the xte command which could work from scripts,
it may be available for you distro and would allow you to script the
commands you want, I haven't tried it personally so would be
interested in your results.