[mythtv-users] Anyone successfully use a hacked NAS box as a backend?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Sep 9 03:21:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Shoot, maybe I should rename "PlugMyth" to "KirkMyth" to indicate it's
>> not just for Plug form factor devices...
>
> Next is SpockMyth?
> This is rather intriguing to me.  Hmm.  Using a NAS box as a backend via
> USB/network tuners may not be the worst idea in the world.  Hopefully
> someone can get it working and make a howto for a model or two of NAS.
>  Would solve the "how should I cram more drives into this case" dilemma...

Some of the headless windows home server boxes are a semi-interesting
as well. Not likely as low-power, but with atom procs, reasonably low
power and a more mainstream distro, and thus easier to get current
software for (and/or build on another host).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105777
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859110001

In the "not headless, and no windows tax" category, this also looks
kinda interesting:

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/systema2000

--
Jarod Wilson