[mythtv-users] CF card adapter Hard Drive

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Sep 8 23:05:30 UTC 2010

On 8 Sep 2010, at 23:55, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

>> That's what I thought, I know my adaptor can boot because I pulled it out of an old firewall machine which had the whole system on an 8MB CF. It will boot with a 1GB CF I have but that's very small and also very slow, the 4GB 133x CF I have doesn't boot but seems entirely readable once the system is booted from CD or HDD. Very odd as the adaptor is entirely passive, maybe there is some PC bios mode issue, I thought I had it working with the bios forced to PIO4 and no DMA but although the install seemed to go ok it didn't boot.
>

> Sounds like the BIOS and/or the CF adapater has one (or more)
> of the various int13 limits (based on the translation to C/H/S format).
>
> Might want to insure the BIOS is configured to LBA mode (if that
> is an option) and/or look at what the BIOS indicates was the
> detected disk type/size for the CF disk.

I'll give that a try; with all bios IDE auto settings (it's in a passive CF to PATA adaptor) the bios says there's nothing there and MythBuntu installer and live CD agrees.
With bios set to pio4 and dma off it says Elite Pro and 4GB, I can partition it and install but it doesn't boot, if I boot from Live CD the files are there, I guess I could dd the mbr back and see if anything got written there. I already tried grub-install /dev/sda from the rescue mode of an Ubuntu 10.04 disk.

Sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread...

Andre