[mythtv-users] Anyone successfully use a hacked NAS box as a backend?

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 19:15:33 UTC 2010

> But if the NAS already has
> sufficient processing power itself, seems like you could get all
> functionality without the need for the plug at all.

There's really not much operational difference between "Plug"
computers and many "NAS" devices as they are merely different form
factors of the same SoC Kirkwood ARM platform. For example, the
Seagate DockStar and GoFlex, QNAP TS-119, Synology
DS210J/DS409/DS1010, etc are all pretty close to the same thing as a
SheevaPlug, PogoPlug, TonidoPlug, GuruPlug, Ionics Plug, etc. as far
is software is concerned.

Basically pick any Kirkwood device, and assuming you can break into
the u-Boot serial console or write to the u-Boot environment
variables, you should be able to run Myth on an ARM port of whatever
Linux distro you like. Unfortunately the ARM world isn't quite as
homogeneous as the x86 world so some devices may need minor u-Boot or
Linux kernel tweaks, but there shouldn't be any showstoppers.

Shoot, maybe I should rename "PlugMyth" to "KirkMyth" to indicate it's
not just for Plug form factor devices...