[mythtv-users] Database update

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 8 17:50:49 UTC 2010

  On 09/08/2010 08:08 AM, barbex wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> I highly recommend doing a complete backup:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Database_Backup
>>
>> then place the backup somewhere safe (maybe even on a spare USB flash drive
>> or whatever if you want to be really safe), then do the upgrade, then if you
>> need it (i.e. you replaced the operating system when doing the upgrade or
>> your have new hardware or whatever), restore the complete backup:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Full_restore_of_a_specific_backup_file
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
> Will the script mentioned in the Wiki work across a version change
> like 0.21 to current?

The script works with all versions of MythTV.  Just download the current
script as described in the

> If I make a plain mysqldump and add a "DROP TABLE if exists" in front
> of all the SQL thingys, wouldn't that be the same and simpler?

Use the script since it's a known-working approach and since it knows
what's important and what's not.

Also, you really should just do a full restore...  Truly, a partial
restore is a waste of your time and doing a partial restore far more
likely to break your setup (or cause you to break it when you attempt to
reconfigure things) than doing a full restore.  And, since there's no
benefit to the partial restore.

If you just want the placebo effect you get from doing a partial
restore, I can write you a placebo script.  :)

Mike