[mythtv-users] First DVB-T2 tuner announced - Hauppauge PCTV Nanostick T2 290e

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Sep 8 15:14:47 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 08:40:49 am Steve Netting wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >> Excellent news!  I wonder if a) they'll release a PCI version and b) how
> >> much work will be required under Linux to support these devices?
> >
> > Why would you need a PCI version? Have you run out of USB ports?
>
> I prefer devices to be self-contained in my media centre box; not relying
> on external USB connections.  The only things I use USB for are
> wireless keyboard/mouse and occasional backup to a USB drive.
>
> I'm happy with USB on the desktop where quick connect/disconnect is useful
> but I tend to avoid USB on anything server related.

Likewise. I think the Linux USB subsystem has a significant overhead, such that a USB device will run slower and consume
more resources than a similar device on the PCI or PCI-Express bus.

I also like to have things out of harm's way, safely inside a metal case.

I use USB for cameras, scanners, the occasional external drive for copying or testing, and things like Bluetooth dongles
and cordless mouse/keyboard receivers, anything else is in the case.

Oh, I forget the HD-PVR, couldn't do without that :-)