[mythtv-users] BackEnd Unresponsive After Deleting Recording 0.23.1 w/ new SBE

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 12:50:22 UTC 2010

Short version:
When deleting a show my MBE starts spewing errors in the log like this:
2010-09-07 21:53:04.397 MythSocket(7fd3a02cd2c0:74): writeStringList:
Error, No data written on writeBlock (892 errors)
The MBE also becomes unresponsive until a restart.

Complete version:

I have a MBE/FE that has been running well for many months. It is
running Ubuntu 9.10 amd64 w/ JYA repo on 0.23.1+fixes. This weekend I
added a second BE with my HD-PVR attached. The SBE is running
Mythbuntu 10.04 amd64 with JYA 0.23.1+fixes. I have two ScheduleDirect
listings. One for my analog cable and one for my digital cable. The
digital lineup I was using for just my ClearQAM tuners. When I added
the HD-PVR I used the same digital cable lineup because the HD-PVR can
record from all channels.

Both machines have a separate drive for the OS. The MBE has two drives
dedicated to recordings both using XFS. The SBE has a single drive
dedicated to recordings also using XFS. Connection is GB wired through
a switch. The MBE is a Phenom II quad core with 4GB RAM and the SBE is
an Athlon 64 x2 with 2GB. System load on either machine does not seem
excessively high. On the MBE htop reports several mythbackend
processes running from 1-4% (idle) all the way up to 60-70%
(frame-grabber recording w/ CPU clocked down to 800MHz).

This weekend I was cleaning up space for the new fall shows when I
started having problems. My MBE is set to expire rather than delete
recordings. I had about 1TB of expired recordings I wanted to delete.
Using some instructions posted earlier on this list I changed my view
to show expired, added all to a playlist, then deleted the playlist.
The frontend became very unresponsive I just assumed it was due to the
load on the MBE. I walked away for a few hours and came back. The
recordings were deleted, but the frontend was still unresponsive. Not
sure what to do I killed the frontend and restarted. When I tried to
access the View Recordings screen I started getting some protocol
response errors in my log. The MBE mythbackend processes were not
consuming 100% CPU, but they were not responding. I restarted the MBE
and everything was working fine.

Yesterday several shows were recorded. Most on the MBE, but a couple
on the SBE as well. Last night I watched a show and then deleted it.
The frontend became unresponsive again. I restarted it and watched
another show. When that show ended I deleted it as well and the
frontend again became unresponsive. I think at this point I can
trigger the problem anytime by deleting a show from the frontend. It
causes the MBE to start spewing these errors in the log:

2010-09-07 21:53:04.397 MythSocket(7fd3a02cd2c0:74): writeStringList:
Error, No data written on writeBlock (892 errors)

The MBE needs a restart before things are normal again.

Several searches turned up lots of threads (most of them older) with
the same error, but no resolution (or fixes that went into 0.22 or
0.23). Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Thanks,
James