[mythtv-users] CF card adapter Hard Drive

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 7 23:34:45 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 04:32:29 pm Tyler T wrote:
> USB flash "thumb drives" are getting large enough and cheap enough
> that they can be had (especially up to 8GB) for less than a CF + CF
> adapter, so IMHO they are a viable option for a FE-only box.

I guess most machines these days will boot from USB, but older machines might not.

Of course if it's really old, it probably has a floppy drive, and there are floppy boot images that will teach it to boot
from USB, helpful when you can't fit your boot image onto a floppy.

> The downside vs. CF would be performance, but a FE doesn't do much
> disk I/O after bootup, so I can't imagine it being a deal-breaker.

That's what I have discovered.

With enough RAM you can do without swap as well.

Of course the prices on SSDs are coming down, but not to the point where they are cheaper than a thumb drive or a
CF+Adapter.